Based on my Wraparound-style masks. Same 3-layer construction but in a smaller size. This uses a lighter middle layer as well, cotton undershirt like Fruit of the Loom. Create your template, cut fabric, and sew.
- Outer Fabric (Quilting Cotton)
- Middle Layer (Old Undershirt)
- Inner Lining (Cotton Muslin)
- Elastic Hairties (Two 2mm-thick Ties) or Elastic Cord (Two 10″ each)
- Paper (for creating template)
- Cut paper 11″ x 4.5″.
- Fold in half lengthwise (left to right), then widthwise (bottom to top).
- Mark 2″ in from top-left corner. Mark 1″ down from top-right corner. (make sure folds are oriented to the left and bottom)
- Draw dotted line from top-left corner to top-right marks.
- Cut along dotted lines and unfold.
Cut and Sew
- Place template on top of fabrics and trace.
- Remove template, pin, and cut.
- Stack Outer Fabric (RS up), Muslin, Tshirt (WS up) and pin.
- Sew top and bottom edges using a 1/4″ seam allowance. (make sure to leave 1/2″ from left and right sides unsewn!)
- Trim corners and seams to reduce bulk.
- Press open seams for the Muslin/Middle layer.
- Fold in and press unsewn flaps on left and right sides.
- Turn inside out. Press seams.
- Topstitch along top and bottom edges. (as close to seam as possible)
- Fold in and sew left and right sides. (make sure hair ties are in place)
- Done! Wash and wear!
Note on Sizing
Sizing is dependent on child. The finished size above gives a general idea but may fit younger or older kids differently. To estimate, measure child’s face from bridge of nose down to bottom of chin. Then measure from ear, across bridge of nose, to other ear. Use a ribbon, tape measure, yarn, or string. Gauge how this will fit. Adjust by increasing or decreasing length of elastic cord. If necessary, adjust template dimensions before cutting for a better fit.
Wash on Hottest
Dry on Highest Heat Setting
Disinfect by spritzing with water and ironing on Cotton Setting
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.